So, you consider yourself as a true espresso lover. You really love the beverage that is served in the coffeehouses, and you dream about your own espresso coffee machine for home use. But there is one small shade over this dream ― you are quite a short of money, and you can not afford such an appliance in your kitchen.
So, what to do? In fact, the answer is simple: find a great espresso coffee machine under $200. They can brew very nice espresso and are perfect for home use. In the post below we will give you short reviews for five best espresso coffee machines for home.
- 1 Several words about espresso machines
- 2 Nespresso Inissia Espresso Maker
- 3 Mr. Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 Cafe Barista Premium Espresso/Cappuccino System
- 4 Mr. Coffee Automatic Dual Shot Espresso/Cappuccino System, ECMP50
- 5 Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker
- 6 De’Longhi EC155 Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
- 7 In conclusion
Several words about espresso machines
We assume that you make first steps in this coffee machines world, so, several words about espresso makers will not be redundant. Thus, there are two types of espresso coffee machines. These are single-serve coffee makers, and espresso coffee machines themselves.
Single-serve coffee brewing technology allows you to brew one cup of perfect beverage (not only espresso) by using special capsules or so-called «pods». These «pods» are for single use. They consist of ground coffee mostly of Arabica variety in the vacuum. Single-serve coffee machine mechanism makes small holes in the capsule cap and streams hot water through the pod under the high pressure.
While using the espresso machine itself, you don not depend on capsules and coffee varieties. The system has special shots for espresso brewing process. You can put any coffee variety in this shot and get the perfect drink. These coffee machines, although we observe these ones which are under $200, more expensive than single-serve coffee makers. But most of them can brew quite a nice espresso, cappuccino and latte with regular ― not powder ― milk.
Now, about the best espresso coffee makers for home.
Nespresso Inissia Espresso Maker
Nespresso Inissia is one of these single-serve espresso machines under $200. The appliance is rather easy in use: it has very simple interface without any comprehended options and settings.
Some features you may appreciate:
- Very high pump pressure ― about 19 bar;
- Pretty exterior and wide range of colors;
- Two cup sizes ― espresso and lungo;
- Energy saving mode.
First of all, Inissia is a single-serve coffee brewing system. It means that it works ONLY with pods or capsules. And it means that it works ONLY with Nespresso compatible pods. The pressure produced by its pump (19 bars) is more than enough to brew real espresso by using special espresso pod. You will get your beverage within one minute (preheating time of the machine is about 25 sec.) and that is really fast.
The appliance is very compact. Its dimensions are 4.7 x 9 x 12.6 in. As you can see, it will fit any household for it won’t take too much space. You can also choose the color of your coffee machine. Nespresso Inissia has a wide range of very tasty and juicy colors (not only black, gray and white) ― so, feel free to choose.
Control panel of the appliance has two programmable buttons ― one is for espresso brewing and the other is for lungo. So, you can choose between cup sizes and get exact quantity of the drink, and folding cup tray will accommodate the size of your mug for more comfortable pouring.
Nespresso Inissia Espresso coffee maker works with the single-use capsule, but you won’t need to change the pod after every brewing. The machine has the special container where you can store from 9 till 11 used pods. The quantity of pods depends on lungo or espresso you were brewing.
Video for Nespresso Inissia Espresso Maker
Now, shortly about pros and cons.
- quite a nice espresso taste;
- very high pump pressure contribute to the perfect coffee consistence;
- very fast preheating time within 25 seconds;
- removable 24 ounce water tank;
- automatic power off and energy saving mode.
The only minus of Nespresso Inissia Espresso coffee maker is its single-serve system. Although you have quite a wide range of beverages in capsules, you still depend on the pods. You can not choose coffee variety, the level of grinding, intensity, and richness. Milk beverages are brewed with milk powder. The pods are not compatible. You can not use capsule for Dolce Gusto machine in your Nespresso Inissia although these are two brands of one manufacturer.
So, the only con here is pod-system that connects you to the single-serve capsules.
Mr. Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 Cafe Barista Premium Espresso/Cappuccino System
If you are looking for real espresso, hot, invigorating, with dense oily foam, Mr.Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 is coffee machine for you. It’s considered as one of the best espresso machines under $200 for home use. It brews not only espresso but other milk coffee beverages as well. More information about BVMC-ECMP1000 you can find here. In this part, we will give you a short review.
Some features you may appreciate:
- User-friendly interface with one-touch control panel;
- Automatic milk frother;
- Not only espresso, but cappuccino and latte brewable.
Although there are only three facts in the list above, let’s look closer to them and find out that they are really great for the espresso machine of this class.
User-friendly interface with one-touch control panel allows choosing both coffee type and cup size. You can choose between espresso, cappuccino and latte, and between one or double shot. You don’t need search for right option, everything you need is to push the button. One button. And Mr.Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 starts brewing.
Automatic milk frother will allow you to make real tasty foam for the cappuccinos and lattes. All you need is to choose between coffee types and pour milk into the removable milk reservoir. The machine will make amazing foam for your drink. The milk tank is removable, so you can store it in the fridge, and use whenever you want. And there is one more fact ― you can use regular milk. It means that there will not be that notorious powder taste as we can find in cappuccinos and lattes from single-serve coffee machines.
So, as you have already understood, Mr.Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 is the real barista for such a price. You can brew coffee houses drinks at home, just in your kitchen. Anytime you like or want it.
Video for Mr. Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 Cafe Barista Premium Espresso/Cappuccino System
Now, shortly about pros and cons for the BVMC-ECMP1000
- two removable reservoirs (for water and milk);
- pump pressure quite high (15 bar) for perfect espresso;
- milk frother – it’s a great option for true coffee lovers;
- simple and very convenient interface;
- adjustable cup tray for more handy coffee pouring;
- low price for such a functionality.
- plastic body;
- for some people it can seem noisy;
- it’s possible it will not fit small kitchens for it has rather large dimensions.
If you already have any Mr.Coffee espresso machine and the device does not work properly, you may find some answers in this post.
Mr. Coffee Automatic Dual Shot Espresso/Cappuccino System, ECMP50
Mr.Coffee ECMP50 is one more masterpiece within best espresso coffee machines under $200. Some features of the appliance are common with the machine we have described above. But still, Mr.Coffee ECMP50 is considered as the standalone product. So, we will give you a short review of the appliance.
Some features you may appreciate:
- Dual-shot brewing system makes two single-shots at once;
- One-touch control panel;
- Frothing arm to make perfect foam;
- Very fast brewing thank to special thermal block.
So, as you understand, ECMP50 is a dual shot espresso machine, not for one but for the number of coffee lovers. It brews two cups instead one but does it rather fast thanks to its specially designed thermal block. Preheating and brewing time, in this case, is close to low. And it is a great thing about this device.
System’s control panel has only two buttons and two lights indicators. The buttons are the brew button and steam button. The first one is for espresso brewing and the other is for milk frothing. As you understand, Mr.Coffee ECMP50 has no in-build milk frother, but only the froth arm. So, milk frother for cappuccinos and lattes is somehow sub-function. The main function of the appliance is espresso brewing. Two lights indicators light up when the beverage is ready and if the power on.
Video for Mr. Coffee Automatic Dual Shot Espresso/Cappuccino System, ECMP50
Now, shortly about pros and cons for the Mr. Coffee ECMP50
- The appliance has a pump producing 15 bar pressure ― perfect pressure for perfect espresso taste;
- Removable 40-ounce water tank is very handful in exploitation ― you can pour water and clean it without a risk mechanism pouring;
- One-touch control panel don’t need other settings ― just push the button and get the result;
- Thermal block was designed in the way of the fastest brewing comparable with real barista espresso machines.
- In spite the really fast brewing espresso from this device is strong and very rich.
- There is no built-in milk frother ― you have to pour milk in separate vessel and froth it there under the frothing arm, and it is not very handy.
- There is no display on the control panel;
- Dimensions are rather large for a small kitchen;
- Be ready to clean drips after every brewing process.
Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker
Nespresso Pixie is one of the most popular single-serve espresso makers under $200. The thing is compact and very functional for such a size. It has advantages and disadvantages of every single-serve or pod coffee brewing systems. Pixie is a very close relative of the Inissia espresso maker. Full review for the device you can find here, and in this description we will watch over it shortly.
Some features you may appreciate:
- fast preheating time within 30 seconds;
- wide range of coffee tastes;
- nice tasting espresso and other beverages;
- different body colors and materials.
All Nespresso devices brew perfect espresso. It is an axiom. Their espresso machines produce pump pressure of 19 bar ― the highest among home coffee machines. 19 bar pressure is a great basis for great espresso. Pixie espresso maker works with special Nespresso capsules of single use.
The brewing process is rather easy and convenient: you insert the pod of the taste you want, pour the water into the water tank, push the button and get the beverage minute later. Pixie also has several programmable features. So, you can choose the beverage strength and cup size (espresso or lungo), and system allows to do it manually or programmably if you have lasting preferences. But remember, that every your setting will depend on capsule type. Those are two types ― espresso (standard) and lungo (large). You will not be able to brew lungo while using espresso capsule and vice verse.
Video for Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker
Now, shortly about pros and cons for the Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker:
- High pump pressure allows to brew perfect coffee;
- Energy saving mode;
- Removable water reservoir ease the cleaning and pouring the water;
- Fast preheating time within half a minute;
- Wide range of coffee tastes from classic espresso till hot chocolate;
- Special container for storing used capsules;
- Pixie comes out in different colors, so, you can choose the one you like.
Those are two minuses for every single-serve coffee brewing system: the first is depending on pods, and the second is a powder milk used to brew cappuccinos and lattes. The system itself is rather cheap: it costs for about $170, but you’ll spend more buying the pods. And you will not be able to brew coffee variety you like ― you depend on the coffee type manufacturer gives you in the pod.
Unfortunately, milk beverages coming out single-serve systems are both very expensive and very specific in taste. So, if you buy the espresso machine for cappuccinos and lattes, watch over other systems, not single-serve.
De’Longhi EC155 Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
EC 155 by DeLonghi is simple and very handful device. It can be put in one row among the great espresso machines under $200. The device has a price within $100 and considered to be the most convenient.
So, let’s find out the best features in this short review for the appliance.
Some features you may appreciate:
- De’Longhi EC155 as some Mr. Coffee devices is dual shot espresso maker; so, it can brew two cups of coffee at once;
- Frother arm for manual preparing milk beverages;
- Manual and semi-automatic brewing system;
- Three-in-one holder filter for better coffee taste.
Dual Shot system of De’Longhi EC155 will allow you to brew two cups of perfect espresso simultaneously. Why perfect? Because the pump produces pressure high enough for the best espresso. It’s about 15 bars. If you are cappuccino or latte lover, the system has manual milk frother. Just pour the milk into the vessel, put the frothing arm and get a perfect foam.
DeLonghi is very keen about coffee taste, that’s why they always have some features that will make better coffee. In the case of De’Longhi EC155, it is three-in-one holder filter: the beans come through several stages before they fall into the cup.
For some people, it is rather hard to understand how the control panel works because the slider there is not common to any other espresso making devices. But after several brewings, you will find out that the EC155 interface is rather convenient. One more notable thing about the appliance is removable water reservoir which perfectly hidden in the machine body. But when it is necessary you can easily remove it, fill or refill.
Video for De’Longhi EC155 Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
Now, shortly about pros and cons for the De’Longhi EC155 Espresso and Cappuccino Maker:
- 15 bar pump pressure for great espresso;
- Removable 34-ounce water reservoir;
- Dual shot brewing;
- Three-in-one filter with changeable baskets for one or two shots;
- Boiler of stainless steel for better water quality.
- De’Longhi EC155 may seem a bit noisy because of specific brewing system;
- Absence of built-in automatic milk frother;
- Not common control panel may confuse you for the first time ― it’s easier to work with buttons then with sliders.
So, if you consider yourself as espresso lover and are looking for the best espresso machine under $200 to brew perfect barista-style coffee at home, you can easily purchase one espresso machine from this list (minding the machine type, of course). Observed systems here can be called the best ones not only because of their brewing capacity but also because of great functionality built in these devices.