If you are a coffee person, you know very well how it sucks to sip a bad cup of coffee brewed by just dissolving sugar and coffee in hot water. A good and fulfilling espresso should be brewed carefully by mixing the right amounts of ingredients and using the right tools to brew it. For this reason, you need to get the best espresso maker too; don’t only focus on high-quality coffee beans. Whether you like a strong single cup or you are the type that brews cup after cup, only the best coffee maker will keep you caffeinated for as long as you wish. However, shopping for the best coffee makers and Espresso makers can be quite a challenge, especially for first-time buyers. Also, espresso market is fast-evolving so it might be hard for coffee enthusiasts to know which the latest products in the market are.
If you are looking shopping for the best espresso machines under $200, then you just came to the right place. We came up with a shortlist of over 20 espresso makers. Thereafter, we narrowed down the list and remained with a list of the top 10 best coffee makers and espressos that should top your wish list. In this article, we are going to review the top 10 best espresso makers under $200 after which we will give you a few tips on shopping for the best espresso makers to make sure that with every purchase, you get value for money. So, without any further ado, here is the review of the top 10 best espresso machines under $200 to buy in 2017.
The Top 10 Best Espresso Machines Under $200
In this segment, we will review the best espresso makers that each enthusiast should at least have for the best espresso experience We will discuss the pros and cons of each and give a verdict on why it made it in this list.
|5.6 x 16.2 x 12.8 inches||+2-in-1 Functionality|
+Large Water Tank
+Compact & Lightweight
|-Only Nespresso Pods||Check Price|
|10.2 x 4 x 13.7 inches||+Simple Operation|
+Uses Coffee Beans
-Little Brew Volume
|9 x 12.2 x 12.3 inches||+Versatility|
+Large Water Tank
|-Quite Expensive||Check Price|
|11.2 x 8.9 x 12.6 inches||+3-in-1 Functionality|
+Uses Fresh Coffee and Pods
|-For Small Servings|
|11.4 x 9.1 x 13.8 inches||+2-in-1 Functionality|
+Rich Tasting Coffee
|-Unreliable Temperature Reading||Check Price|
|20 x 8 x 12.9 inches||+Easy Frothing|
|-Nespresso Capsules Only||Check Price|
|12.8 x 4.4 x 9.3 inches||+Compact Design|
+Empty Tank Alert
+Free Nespresso Capsules
|-Uses Nespresso Capsules Only||Check Price|
|12.4 x 4.9 x 8.8 inches||+Compact Design|
+Impressive Pressure Pump
|-Nespresso Capsules Only|
-High Price Tag
|12.6 x 4.7 x 9 inches||+Stylish & Compact|
+Impressive Bar Pressure
|-Nespresso Capsules Only|
|15 x 11.3 x 16.3 inches||+Built-In Frother|
+Custom Brew Coffee
+Custom Brews Sizes
+Rich Tasting Coffee
+Large Quantity Preparation
-Fragile Glass Carafe
10.DeLonghi Nespresso VertuoPlus ENV150GY Coffee and Espresso Maker
The Nespresso VertuoPlus by DeLonghi is a superior coffee maker that can brew rich-tasting coffee and espresso. It is this versatility that makes it one of the best coffee makers in the market right now. If you love the rich coffee aroma, crema, and hazel foam, then the Nespresso VertuoPlus by DeLonghi will deliver exactly that. Here is what we liked and what we didn’t like in the Nespresso VertuoPlus.Pros
- 1. 2-in-1 Functionality – The Nespresso VertuoPlus by DeLonghi can make both brew coffee and espresso which makes it such a versatile coffee maker.
- 2. Large Water Tank – This coffee maker has a large 40 oz. water tank to allow you prepare enough coffee or espresso without having to refill it frequently.
- 3. Quality Brew – This coffee maker delivers the best quality coffee courtesy of the patented extraction technology and blend-specific brewing.
- 4. Easy Operation – The Nespresso VertuoPlus offers easy operation courtesy of the easy one-touch button.
- 5. Affordable Price – For a coffee maker with 2-in-1 functionality, its price is very affordable.
- 6. Compact & Lightweight – This coffee maker sports a compact and space-saving design that allows it to fit in a small space and makes it easily portable.
- 1. Only Nespresso Pods – The Nespresso VertuoPlus limits users when it comes to pods as it is only compatible with Nespresso pods.
Measuring 5.6 x 16.2 x 12.8 inches and weighing only 9.7lbs, the Nespresso VertuoPlus boasts a new sleek and compact freestanding design that makes it a great purchase for those working in limited space. It comes with a movable 14 oz. water tank, 8 oz. cup of coffee and a 1.35 oz. cup for espresso. There is a one-touch brew button for easy and straightforward operation. In addition to this, the Nespresso VertuoPlus has an auto-eject function for its capsules and a 4-point adjustable cup support to allow the use of the different cups provided. It also has Auto Shut Off that switches the machine off once it is done brewing.
When it comes to performance, this 19-bar pump coffee maker is just the best. First, for efficiency, DeLonghi engineered this coffee maker with a powerful motorized head that blends well with the all new patented Centrifusion extraction technology. Spinning at over 7,000 rpm, this technology ensures the ground coffee mixes evenly in the water giving you the best and rich-tasting coffee. This technology also ensures brew-specific brewing. It has two capsules; a large and smaller capsule for coffee and espresso. It detects the capsule type and adjusts the setting based on the selected Grand Cru. To kickstart your coffee experience, DeLonghi included 12 Nespresso capsules for coffee and 4 for espresso Grand Crus as a complimentary gift.
9. Flair Manual Press Espresso Maker
If you want something to prepare your espresso manually, then get the Flair Manual Press, Espresso Maker. This machine allows coffee enthusiasts to handcraft their favorite espresso instantly. This kit is very easy to use and most importantly, very durable and requires little maintenance. Most coffee enthusiasts love it because it requires no plug-ins or breaks; just a simple press and voila, your espresso is ready. Here are its pros and cons.Pros
- 1. Simple Operation – This espresso maker requires a very simple operation and anyone can prepare espresso using it.
- 2. Highly Portable – If you travel a lot, you won’t miss your coffee with this espresso maker as it is very portable and actually comes with a carrying case.
- 3. Uses Coffee Beans – Unlike the Nespresso that uses Nespresso capsules only, the Flair Manual Press Espresso Maker uses raw coffee beans.
- 4. Eco-Friendly – This espresso maker is very eco-friendly as it requires no electricity or even batteries; it is purely manual.
- 5. Very Durable – The Flair Manual Press Espresso Maker is very durable courtesy of the stainless steel and aluminum build.
- 1. Very Expensive – This espresso machine, however simple it is will cost you in excess of $150 which is quite expensive for a manual press.
- 2. Little Brew Volume – The Flair Manual Press Espresso Maker can brew an average of only 45 Ml per round.
The Flair Manual Press Espresso Maker is a very easy to use espresso maker that requires no electricity or batteries. With hot water, you can actually enjoy your shot of espresso while on the go. In fact, its portability makes it a great espresso machine for coffee enthusiasts who travel a lot and wouldn’t go a day without their espresso.
This manual espresso maker weighs approximately 4 lbs and stands at 10 inches when fully set up. The cylinder has a 55 Ml capacity while an average shot is 45 Ml. The coffee beans are crushed when you press down the handle which delivers 9-16 bar pressure which is quite impressive for a manual espresso maker. Extracting a shot takes a very short time ranging from 25 – 45 seconds depending on the pressure exerted and the temperature of the water.
8.Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo Coffee and Espresso Maker by DeLonghi
The Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo is an evolutionary and versatile coffee maker from Nespresso in conjunction with DeLonghi. This coffee maker uses the patented Centrifusion extraction technology to deliver crisp and great tasting coffee and espresso for a delightful and remarkable coffee session. Even though it looks complex by design, it is easy to operate and maintain. Here are the pros and cons of the Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo Coffee maker.Pros
- 1. Versatility – You can use the Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo to brew your coffee or make espresso instantly.
- 2. Unrivaled Extraction – This coffee maker uses the patented Centrifusion extraction technology that ensures you get the most out of your coffee.
- 3. Large Water Tank – DeLonghi and Nespresso built the Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo with a large 54 oz. water tank to brew enough coffee or espresso without refilling it every now and then.
- 4. Easy Frothing – This coffee and espresso maker comes with an Aeroccino frother for easy and instant frothing without any barista skills.
- 5. Complimentary Gift – Each unit of this coffee and espresso machine comes with 12 Nespresso Vertuoline capsules each with a different aroma.
- 1. Quite Expensive – Compared to the rest of the coffee makers in this review the Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo is quite expensive.
This coffee maker has two cup sizes; 7.7 fl. oz. for coffee and 1.35 fl. oz. for espresso. Each of these cups can deliver the finest and smoothest roast as well as ground coffee in every serving. It is equipped with a detachable 54 oz. water tank to ensure you prepare enough coffee or espresso for everyone. For easy frothing, Nespresso and DeLonghi included and easy to use frother for the best espresso crema.
The Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo has been designed to use Nespresso capsules. It combines high bar pressure and the Centrifusion extraction technology that spins at over 7,000 rpm to deliver the best coffee and espresso each with a distinct taste and aroma. To deliver the best in-cup results, the Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo has blend-specific brewing that detects the Grand Cru. In place and adjusts its setting accordingly.
7.Mr. Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 Cafe Barista Espresso Maker Machine
Another great coffee maker that offers versatility is the Mr. Coffee BVMC-ECMP1000 that offers 3-in-1 coffee brewing. This coffee maker works best as a cappuccino maker, espresso a maker as well as a latte machine. This is exactly why we featured it in this list of the best coffee makers in the market. Here are its advantages and disadvantages.Pros
- 1. 3-in-1 Functionality – With the Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista, you can make your favorite cappuccino, latte or even espresso with so much ease.
- 2. Very Affordable – Retailing at around $200, this coffee maker is very affordable considering its 3-in-1 functionality.
- 3. Uses Fresh Coffee and Pods – Another advantage of this coffee maker is that it allows you to use either fresh coffee or even pods.
- 4. Hybrid – The Mr. Coffee Café Barista is a blend of a manual and super automatic espresso machine.
- 5. Easy Operation – This coffee maker is very easy to use courtesy of the one-touch button.
- 6. Compact Design – If you have a small space, this coffee maker will be best for you courtesy of its compact and space-saving design.
- 1. For Small Servings – This coffee maker is not best for many servings so when you are preparing coffee for many people, it will be hectic.
- 2. Temperature Inconsistency – At times, the coffee maker gives inconsistent temperature especially in extreme weather.
Like mentioned earlier, the Mr. Coffee Café Barista has a space saving and lightweight design. It measures 11.2 x 8.9 x 12.6 inches and weighs only 10.4lbs. When it comes to operation, it has an easy user interface with one-touch buttons for your preferred coffee beverage. The large water reservoir is easily detachable to allow for easy refilling as well as washing.
For a coffee maker to be called a hybrid, it is quite ambiguous but indeed, the Mr. Coffee Café Barista is hybrid. It is manual as you got to pull your espresso shots manually. On the other hand, it is still a super automatic coffee maker because it froths milk automatically and pours it into your coffee. When it comes to performance, the Mr. Coffee Café Barista boasts a single-pump boiler that extracts espresso and froths the milk for rich-tasting coffee shots. The only hurdle is that you will have to alternate between the two modes to perfectly brew your favorite cup. Other notable features include a mini steam wand and pre-programmed extraction.
6.DeLonghi EC155M Manual Espresso Machine & Cappuccino Maker
Another great coffee maker from DeLonghi is the EC155M, an excellent choice for anyone who loves espresso and cappuccino. It sports a simple, yet stylish and compact design that allows it to fit even in the tightest spaces. The DeLonghi EC155M is actually the best selling espresso machine on Amazon and we are going to see just why, but first, the pros and cons.Pros
- 1. 2-in-1 Functionality – The DeLonghi EC155M is a very versatile coffee maker that can prepare both cappuccinos as well as espresso.
- 2. Rich Tasting Coffee – The EC155M has two thermostats that control the water and steam pressure for the best and rich tasting cappuccino or espresso.
- 3. Swivel-Jet Frother – If you like creamy lattes and cappuccinos, the swivel jet frother will do the magic for you even with no frothing skills.
- 4. Compact Design – This coffee maker sports a simple, compact and space saving design to allow it fit in small spaces.
- 5. Anti-Drip – DeLonghi crafted the EC155M with a dishwasher-safe drip tray and anti-drip system that ensures no coffee drips out of the cup.
- 6. Pocket-Friendly – The DeLonghi EC155M retails at around $60 which is very affordable for such a high-quality espresso and cappuccino maker.
- 1. Unreliable Temperature Reading – This coffee make gives wrong temperatures at times especially during extreme weather.
The DeLonghi EC155M is among the most compact coffee makers for espresso and cappuccino. It sports a compact and lightweight design that enables coffee lover to fit it almost anywhere on the kitchen counter. The top, control panel and drip tray are all crafted from high-quality metal. On the other hand, the boiler has been made using a stainless material to bolster its efficiency and most importantly, to keep your coffee hot for longer. To allow you prepare more coffee, it has a clear and detachable 35 oz. water reservoir that allows you to see how much water you have left.
When it comes to performance, the DeLonghi EC155M has a 15-bar pressure with adjustable controls to let you modify your settings for the best taste preference. Whether you want one shot or two, this coffee maker has got you covered. The 3-in-1 filter has a holder for one shot and another for two shots. If you can’t froth like a pro barista, the DeLonghi EC155M will make you one. It has a steam wand that will easily help you to froth instantly. To guarantee the best cappuccino or espresso, the EC155M has two separate thermostats for regulating water and steam pressure.
5. Nespresso Inissia Espresso Maker with Aeroccino by DeLonghi
The Nespresso Inissia Espresso Maker with Aeroccino is a great espresso maker that comes with the Aeroccino 3 which delivers smooth and fine textures hot or even cold milk froth. This espresso maker boasts a sleek and stylish design that makes it not only a coffee enthusiast’s companion but also a great kitchen appliance that will make your kitchen stand out. Here are its pros and cons.Pros
- 1. Easy Frothing – This unit comes with the Aeroccino 3 that guarantees finely textured milk froth.
- 2. Sleek Design – This espresso maker boasts a sleek design with several fancy colors to choose from.
- 3. Small Footprint – The Nespresso Inissia also has a small footprint that allows you to place it on a small counter space.
- 4. Fast Pre-Heating – You can start enjoying your espresso in as little as 25 seconds courtesy of the fast preheating mechanism.
- 5. Auto Shut-Off – There is a convenient auto shut-off feature that switches off the espresso maker after 9 minutes of inactivity.
- 6. Flow Stop – Flow Stop allows you to set your preferred coffee length after which it automatically stops brewing once it reaches that length.
- 1. Nespresso Capsules Only – This espresso maker can use only Nespresso capsules and nothing else.
Nespresso Inissia really impressed with the fancy design. In addition to the sleek design, this espresso maker is available in several colors. There’s also an ergonomic handle that gives it better handling when making your coffee as well as for portability. To enable it to work with taller cups, DeLonghi equipped it with a foldable drip tray to allow the usage of taller cups. Nespresso built this machine with a large 24 oz. water tank for your convenience especially when you are a back to back coffee drinker.
This espresso maker has a cool patented extraction technology that guarantees rich tasting and dark coffee with an aroma that will fill your house. It also packs a high-performance pump that delivers 19 bar pressure. Furthermore, the Thermoblock technology ensures you get your coffee as soon as possible as it heats the water in less than 25 seconds. The icing on the cake with this espresso maker is its ease of frothing. If you have no skills in frothing, don’t worry. The Aeroccino has got you covered. This is a separate tool that makes frothing simple and automatic.
4. Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker by DeLonghi
Another space saving espresso maker is the Nespresso Pixie that has been manufactured by Nespresso in collaboration with DeLonghi. This espresso maker delivers great coffee and has two cup capacities; espresso and lungo. The good thing is that these two buttons can be reprogrammed to offer different capacities. Here is a review of the Nespresso Pixie, but first, its advantages and disadvantages.Pros
- 1. Compact Design – The Nespresso Pixie has a compact design that allows it to fit almost anywhere on a small counter.
- 2. Reprogrammable Buttons – You can reprogram the espresso and lungo buttons to your preferred volumes.
- 3. High-Pressure Pump – DeLonghi equipped this espresso maker with a high-pressure pump that delivers up to 19 bar pressure.
- 4. Empty Tank Alert – Unlike most coffee makers out there, the Nespresso Pixie has an empty water tank alert.
- 5. Free Nespresso Capsules – Each unit comes with a pack of 16 Nespresso Grand Crus each with a different flavor.
- 1. Uses Nespresso Capsules Only – The Nespresso Pixie is compatible with only Nespresso capsules and nothing else.
Like earlier stated, the Nespresso Pixie sports a compact and easy fitting design. This makes it ideal for those who have minimal space in their kitchens. Besides this, it has been crafted in a sleek and aesthetic design and comes in several color options and two finishes. DeLonghi built this espresso maker with a 24 oz. water tank which can hold enough water to allow you have an uninterrupted coffee session. This espresso maker has two elaborate buttons for espresso and lungo which can further be programmed to different volumes depending on your preference.
When it comes to performance, the Pixie has a high power heating system that heats the water in less than 25 seconds. In addition to this, the high-pressure pump delivers 19 bar pressure to give a rich tasting espresso with a sweet coffee aroma. One unique feature in the Nespresso Pixie is the empty water tank alert that will notify you when the tank is empty so that you can refill it.
3. Aicok Espresso Machine for Nespresso Compatible Capsules
If you like Nespresso flavors but you don’t like Nespresso for one reason or another, then the Aicok Espresso Machine is a suitable alternative. This espresso maker uses Nespresso compatible capsules and delivers rich tasting and aromatic espresso anytime, any day. This espresso maker is very easy to use. Even without any espresso making skills, you will make great tasting coffee just like a professional barista. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the Aicok Espresso Machine.Pros
- 1. Compact Design – If you are running low on space on your counter, don’t worry, this espresso maker fits in the tightest spaces.
- 2. LED lights – Aicok included a set of LCD indicator lights for easy operation and notifying the user of different events.
- 3. Impressive Pressure Pump – The Aicok Espresso Machine delivers up to 20 bar pressure for a fine and great tasting cup of espresso.
- 4. Fast Heating – With this coffee maker, you can start enjoying your espresso or lungo in just 25 seconds which is quite impressive.
- 5. Easy Operation – Aicok built this machine with an easy control panel with every function labeled clearly for easy operation.
- 6. Energy Efficient – This machine has an Energy Class A rating as well as an auto shut off function that saves energy by switching it off when not in use.
- 1. Nespresso Capsules Only – The Aicok Espresso Machine uses only Nespresso capsules just like the Nespresso Inissia by DeLonghi.
- 2. High Price Tag – This machine costs slightly over $100 which is quite expensive for an espresso machine that can’t use pods.
The Aicok Espresso Machine has a small footprint and compact design. If your counter is full and you want a coffee maker, then this espresso machine should top your wish list. The side panels are easily replaceable or rather customizable. There is a black panel for men and a red one for ladies. Perhaps the best thing about this espresso maker is the LED lights on the control panel. When it comes to cleaning and maintenance, the Aicok Espresso Machine has only 8 components that are easily detachable and dishwasher safe. If you take your coffee back to back, the 24 oz. water tank will make things easier as you won’t have to be refilling water every now and then.
In terms of performance, the Aicok Espresso Machine has a high performance and energy saving heating element that can heat the water in only 25 seconds. To deliver the best, barista style coffee, this espresso maker uses the 20 bar pressure to fully extract the best coffee form the Nespresso capsules. Depending on your preference, you can use the two programmable buttons; one for espresso and another for lungo.
2. Nespresso Inissia Espresso Maker by DeLonghi
The Nespresso Inissia Espresso Maker is a great coffee maker for those who can’t do without their espresso. It has a simple and compact design tastefully finished in very fancy colors to complement your kitchen style. The Inissia has a powerful and high-pressure pump that delivers rich tasting coffee flavored by the provided 16 capsules. Here is a review of its pros and cons.Pros
- 1. Stylish & Compact – The Inissia has a sleek and compact design to allow it fit anywhere on your kitchen counter.
- 2. Impressive Bar Pressure – DeLonghi engineered this espresso maker with a powerful extraction technology that can deliver up to 19 bar pressure.
- 3. Fast Preparation – This espresso maker has a powerful wand that will heat your water in less than 25 seconds.
- 4. Auto Shut-Off – The Nespresso Inissia has a very convenient auto shut-off feature that switches off the espresso maker after 9 minutes of inactivity.
- 5. Free Capsules – Each Inissia unit comes with 16 free capsules each with a different aroma to suit you on every coffee session or occasion.
- 6. Flow Stop – The Nespresso Inissia also comes with a unique Flow Stop feature that allows you to set your preferred coffee length after which it automatically stops brewing once it reaches that length.
- 1. Nespresso Capsules Only – The Inissia limits coffee lovers to Nespresso capsules only. So, without Nespresso capsules, there’s no espresso for you!
- 2. Quite Expensive – The over $100 price tag is quite expensive for such a small espresso maker.
One area the Nespresso Inissia scored highly is the design. It sports a sleek, stylish and compact design that everyone will love. Besides, it is available in a range of fancy colors to easily blend with your kitchen’s color scheme. It also has an ergonomic handle for a better grip when carrying it as well as when preparing your espresso. Even though from pictures it looks like it can’t work with taller cups, it has a folding drip tray to accommodate taller cups. The Inissia has a 24 oz. water tank to allow you brew more coffee without having to refill it every now and then.
In terms of performance, the Nespresso Inissia is really impressive. Even though it looks small in size, it is big in performance. First, it has an improved patented extraction technology to ensure you get the very best from the Nespresso capsules by delivering up to 19 bar pressure.. Besides this, the Thermoblock technology guarantees fast water heating to ensure you start getting your espresso within 25 seconds which is very impressive. Other features include espresso and Lungo buttons, auto shut-off and flow stop.
1. Shark Ninja Coffee CF091 – Bar Brewer System with Glass Carafe
If you want a single serve as well as a glass carafe coffee system, then the Ninja Coffee CF091 is ideal for you. This coffee machine from Shark Ninja has been engineered with the latest innovations to give you an incredible coffee experience with your friends and family. Even though it is quite large and expensive, it is still a favorite for many coffee enthusiasts out there. Here is a review of the Ninja Coffee CF091, but just before that, a few of its pros and cons.Pros
- 1. Built-In Frother – Shark Ninja included a frother in the Ninja Coffee CF091 which requires no frothing skills to use.
- 2. Custom Brew Coffee – The Shark Ninja Coffee CF091 allows you to prepare different custom brew coffee beverages like a pro barista.
- 3. Custom Brews Sizes – Depending on your preference, you can choose from the 6 available custom brew sizes.
- 4. Rich Tasting Coffee – This machine uses an advanced extraction technology that brews rich tasting and high-quality coffee that you will love.
- 5. Large Quantity Preparation – This coffee maker can prepare up to 10 cups of the best coffee making it great for family and friends.
- 1. Very Expensive – The Shark Ninja Coffee CF091 costs around $150 which is very expensive but all the same, it is worth every penny.
- 2. Quite Big – It is also quite big and won’t be ideal for those with a small kitchen counter.
- 3. Fragile Glass Carafe – The glass carafe is very fragile and can easily break when not properly handled.
Like earlier said the design of the Shark Ninja Coffee CF091 is not very impressive and may not be among the best coffee makers in terms of size. It has a large form factor that may be a challenge for coffee lovers with small kitchen counters. However, when you look at the fact that this is a modern and actually a next-generation coffee maker with the best in class features, the size is justifiable. The Shark Ninja Coffee CF091 has a 50 oz. clear glass carafe and 6 brew sizes; Cup, XL Cup, Travel Mug, XL Multi-Serve, Half Carafe, and lastly, Full Carafe.
When it comes to performance, the Shark Ninja Coffee CF091 – Bar Brewer System with Glass Carafe is among the best coffee makers with excellent performance. First, it has an inbuilt frother that makes frothing easy even when you don’t have any skills. Besides this, it has been engineered with the Advanced Thermal Flavour Extraction technology that is waiting to patent. This extraction technique allows you to prepare the best coffee with varying richness according to your preference. You can also prepare the various Ninja’s Signature brews including Specialty and Café Forte. There’s also the Auto-iQ® One-Touch Intelligence Technology which ensures accuracy in the amount of water that is released from the reservoir.
Buying Guide: How to Shop for the Best Coffeemakers
Now that you know some of the best coffee makers in the market, it’s time we look at a few things that you need to know about coffee makers and what to look out for when shopping. Before we go deep into this buying guide, we’ll answer the burning question that most of you must be asking; why do you need a coffee maker?
Do I Really Need a Coffeemaker?
Coffee makers are quite expensive. For just any other Tom, Dick and Harry, this is an unnecessary investment but not for a coffee enthusiast. Owning a coffee maker, however expensive it is has a lot of advantages.
First, a coffee maker offers many conveniences. You can enjoy your cup of coffee or espresso any time you want. Whether it is early in the morning or very late in the night, nothing will stop you from getting caffeinated. If you are the type that gets out at night just to buy a coffee, then just get a coffee maker and forget the hassles!
With a coffee maker, you also get the best quality coffee. This is unlike commercial outlets which may just use any other coffee beans giving such an inconsistent quality of the coffee. Having your own coffee maker gives you the chance to brew your coffee exactly as you want it.
When it comes to matters savings, a coffee maker is a worthy investment, especially for daily coffee users. When you brew your coffee, you save at least a dollar for each cup. If you take two cups daily, you will save around $60 monthly and over $720 yearly. You also get to save the gas or fare you will use to go and buy coffee or the money you will pay for delivery.
Factors to Consider when Buying the Best Coffeemakers
Even though there are so many factors that you should look out for, we are going to look at the major factors you should consider when shopping for the best coffee makers in the market.
- 1. Brand; is it from a Reputable Brand?
Just like when shopping for any other thing, make sure that you go for a trusted brand. Buying from a trusted brand gives you the confidence that you will get value for money. Trusted brands sell high-quality products with the latest innovations. Besides this, maintenance and replacement parts are very easy to find. Most importantly, popular brands offer reliable support and even warranties on their products. Some of the trusted brands you should consider buying from include; DeLonghi, Mr. Coffee, Moccamaster, Cook N Home, Cuisinart, among others. When shopping for the best coffee makers, avoid these new and lesser-known brands. Even though they enticing because they are cheap, they won’t give you the ultimate coffee experience. Always remember that cheap is expensive.
- 2. Preferred Coffee Type
If you are a real coffee enthusiast, you know very well that there are different types of coffee depending on the coffee beans used as well as how it is prepared. Having said that, it is imperative that you get a coffee maker that will prepare the kind of coffee you like most. For example, if you like espresso, you will have to buy an espresso machine and if you are on a budget, a French press will still work for you. On the other hand, if you just want to brew, then get a drip coffee maker. The good thing about innovation is that there are several coffee makers that have been built for versatility in that they can make both brews and espresso – the most popular coffee types. So, before buying any coffee maker, first know the type of coffee you like and buy the right coffee maker for the job!
- 3. Quantity
Coffee makers come in different sizes. There are single cup coffee makers as well as large coffee makers that can brew up to 12 cups at a go. If you only need a coffee maker to prepare your coffee, a single-serve coffee maker will be great for you. On the other hand, if you have housemates who also do coffee or you normally host visitors frequently, get a larger coffee maker; a multi-cup coffee maker will be ideal. However, it is important to note that while single-serve coffee makers are cheaper, running them is expensive because you will use relatively more coffee beans. On the other hand, while multi-cup coffee makers may be quite expensive, it is cheaper to prepare many cups.
- 4. Usability
Brewing coffee on your own, even with a coffee maker may not be straightforward as it sounds. More so, there are different types of coffee makers each with different orientation and operation mechanism. For example, while a French Press requires you to grind the coffee beans almost manually, espressos can prepare complex coffee drinks with the press of a button. With this in mind, it is first important to be sure of the usability of your preferred coffee maker. Get a coffee maker that you’re comfortable using, preferably an espresso or the popular drip coffee maker. Besides brewing coffee, make sure the machine is easily detachable for easy washing.
- 5. Counter Space
Do you have enough space on your counter to place your new coffee maker? It is very important to first know the extra space you have on your counter or kitchen stand before buying any coffee maker. This will guide you in buying a compact machine that will fit in the small space you have. Remember, besides brewing you your best coffee, a coffee maker adds a touch of elegance to your kitchen. In addition to this, it should be placed at an easy to access area to allow you brew some coffee easily. So, make sure that you get the perfect fitting coffee maker lest you end up keeping it in your cabinet because there’s no other appliance that you will be willing to sacrifice in order to keep your new coffee brewer on the kitchen counter.
If you are a daily espresso user and you don’t have an espresso maker, then you must be missing a lot. Domestic espresso makers offer a lot of conveniences and most importantly, will save you a lot of money that you’d have otherwise wasted buying average quality espresso from commercial outlets. Even though shopping for these coffee makers is a challenge, the above review of the best espresso makers under $200 in the market will make things easier for you. If it is still hard, don’t worry; just get any of the above espresso makers that are within your budget and brace up for the best espresso sessions!